Learn - Heal - Grow
Studies show that the brain “re-wires” itself through the learning of new skills and the mastering of new activities. We encourage you to become a “lifelong learner,” someone who is constantly learning and growing. Whether it’s taking up guitar, becoming a martial arts expert, mastering the flora and fauna of the National Forest, or learning to teach Yoga, you will be afforded many opportunities to learn many new skills through the preponderance of activities offered at Red Mountain.
We will also teach you a number of new behaviors which will help you succeed in life, including physical fitness, eating right, taking responsibility for your finances, and keeping a healthy schedule with adequate time for work, rest, leisure and personal growth.
But you will not only learn new activities and behaviors. We will help you learn WHO YOU ARE and why you are on Planet Earth! You will learn why you have been through all our difficulties, and how those difficulties fit into a larger life path and life purpose (which you will determine within the larger context of your vision for your life and yourself).
You will be able to answer key questions about yourself, including:
- What are my passions?
- What do I want to do with my life?
- What has held me back so far?
- How can I get my needs met without making poor choices?
- What are my values?
- What’s next for me?
- Where do I want to be in 5 years? 10 years?
- What concrete steps can I take NOW to make my dreams happen?
Some of our clients have been through incredible hardship, from grief and loss to sexual assault to other traumas. Others have to heal broken relationships brought about by their wild behavior and poor choices. Often, relationships with families are the ones that have suffered the most.
To paraphrase a famous quote, “the problem with the past is that it isn’t.” Until you squarely face and deal with the past, it will always color and influence the present, often in unconscious ways. Our goal is to help you heal the past so you can love the present and create the future YOU want for yourself.
To that end, we offer the following concrete healing modalities:
- Trauma therapy to address and heal past traumas.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), a proven modality for processing traumatic events that has helped over half a million people worldwide.
- Somatic experiencing, based on the work of Peter Levine, a cutting-edge modality that deals with past trauma at the cellular level.
- Mindfulness-Based Trauma work, developed by the Red Mountain team, which combines meditation and trauma processing.
- Equine therapy and other work with animals.
- Adventure therapy, which challenges your assumptions and beliefs about yourself and helps bring you into the moment.
- Martial arts, which teaches you to set boundaries, claim your physical space, and be assertive.
- A clear plan for the future, which ironically helps clear past trauma through contextualizing it in a greater “story” and vision for your life.
- Nutrition and exercise, which help you recover your body and nourish your spirit.
- Family therapy, which helps heal past wounds and bring you into a healthier, more satisfying relationship with your loved ones.
- Yoga and meditation, which put you in touch with your deepest truth and helps you heal from the inside out.
There are many aspects to growth. The most important is BALANCE. You must push yourself enough that you are constantly expanding, but not so fast that you lose your progress. There are many ways we encourage your growth at Red Mountain:
- THERAPY to help you discover who you are.
- MEDITATION to help you deepen your relationship with yourself and your spiritual connection.
- CLASSES to help you learn about yourself and how to recover more fully from the issues that brought you to our program.
- ADVENTURES that help you expand your horizons and experience new thrills.
- WORK – both within the community, and on yourself – that enhance self-esteem.